.

.

Friday, November 4, 2011

healthy alternative to airline food ..sorry airlines..♥







I’m on my way out of town yesterday, so the number one thing on my mind being my health conscious self was..  travel and airport food. As someone who hates junk foods, I have a tough time eating when I fly. I’m sure I’m not the only one who nearly passes out from hunger because I’m not willing to eat at the countless crappy fast food joints that have filled our country’s airports, or worse, eat the food on the plane itself. Honestly, if my choices are nasty airport food or starvation, I’d probably starve. The ensuing digestive Chernobyl just isn’t worth it.
As I’ve gotten older, though, I’ve learned to plan for my trips. With airport security being what it is these days, you’re limited in what you can take to the gate – no hummus,  my fave...:(soup or homemade smoothies. I won’t go into the politics behind the circus that is the TSA organization
So what can you take on a plane that won’t kill you or have the gate guards in hysterics? Here’s a list of stuff that will help you avoid airline and airport food.

The Anti Airport Food List

  • Lara Bars
  • Mixed nuts (raw and organic where possible)
  • Green salad in a bag with a little dressing
  • Dried cranberries (unsweetened)
  • Granola (buy milk at the airport or on the plane)
  • Onigiri
  • Avocado sushi rolls
  • Sandwiches
  • Organic corn chips
  • Chamomile or green tea bags
  • Fresh fruit salad
  • Cheese
  • Green food powder (kinda crunchy hippy-esque, but handy for nutrients in a pinch)
If I have to cave and buy airport food, I try to make it as healthy as possible. A McDonald’s green salad is better than a burger, and an Odwalla smoothie is better than a vanilla shake. And please, for the love of god, do your body a favor and avoid airline meals at all costs.
They key is to reduce your garbage intake by as possible without actually passing out on the plane. If you make sure you’ve got a good amount of non-crap snacks on you, you’ll be less tempted by the $8 deep-fried chicken tacos smothered in ranch dressing. Ugh. happy flying! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me ♥

My photo
My website is designed for a healthier approach on great homestyle european recipes.. I love creating new recipes with a twist on traditional! ♥

click on the pic below help support jdrf! -♥